Saturday, December 30, 2006

Forgiveness? What's that?

Okay so I just found out that Saddam Hussein has just been hung, its one of things that was always coming, but never actually happens.

It makes me wonder though, whether it was right or wrong. Don’t get me wrong, Saddam was a bad man, and he did lots or really terrible things, but even with this, I still find hard to comprehend that someone had the power to say that he deserved to die. Spend life in prison and pay a price for the things that he has done? For sure, but die, I don’t know that we have the power to decided that.

As a Christian, I believe that we all have free choice, so the choice to kill all those people was Saddam’s, but I also believe that God is in control and the job of choosing who lives and dies is really up to him.

I also believe that he is a just God and whenever Saddam had died, God would punish him accordingly. However, because I am also not perfect, and while I haven’t committed mass murder, I stuff up regularly, I know that I am also open to the justice of God. But I also know that my God is forgiveness. Now you may think “did she say that right?” doesn’t she mean that God shows forgiveness or that God forgives, well yes but it’s more than that. God is forgiveness, because of what he did with his son Jesus, the only truly perfect person, God is forgiveness to me but also to Saddam if he asks.

Now putting me next to Saddam might seem a bit outrageous, but in the bible it says that all sins are equal and not one is worse than the other. Now that makes it a little scary. Seriously that means that my little white lie, is just as bad as mass murder. Maybe its not so outrageous. But if that is the case, how can I tell someone that they deserve to die for something that they have done wrong and that I don’t? It’s not really fair is it? So is it fair to even lock him up? Well I think that keeping a murder away from others is not really to punish them, but more to protect everyone else. Anyway, I just thought I would put my thoughts out there…let me know what you think.

Just a thought I had…

Stay tunned.

No comments: